Today I wanted to talk a little about herbs. Whatever you may use them for, they all have properties.
And you can use them for just about anything!
Herbal paper making, candles, soaps and lotions, culinary uses, spells...
In The Silver Cord, Kat and Jess talk about herbs and their properties a great bit. There is also a beautiful herb garden featured in the book.
Let's focus on one herb for today, how about a popular one like lavender?
Lavender is well known for its calming properties.
The essence oils that are extracted are used for aromatherapy, specifically for helping someone relax and sleep.
Apply lavender essential oil to insect bites and stings, cuts, scrapes and abrasions. Lavender is very anti-septic and helps destroy germs that can cause infections.
According to wellnessmama.com Lavender can also be used for:
As a dried herb to make a relaxing herbal tea (I often add Chamomile too) by steeping in hot (not boiling water) for a few minutes and adding honey
- In a tincture to help promote relaxation and sleep
- Adding the dried herb to homemade buckwheat pillows or sleep masks to help promote relaxing sleep
- To sooth sunburns or other burns, I add a few drops of the essential oil to a bottle of cool water and spray on burns to offer relief. The dried herb can also be brewed in to a strong tea and sprayed on instead.
- A strong lavender tea can be cooled and used as a scalp rinse to help prevent dandruff
- Adding a few drops of lavender essential oil or a cup of strong brewed lavender tea and a cup of epsom salts to a bath helps relax sore muscles.
- I sew dried lavender flowers into small satchels and use them in place of dryer sheets in the dryer
- For headaches, smelling lavender and peppermint oils or rubbing lavender oil into the temples often helps
- I often infuse lavender into vinegars for use in cooking or as a skin toner (diluted)
- The essential oil or lavender infused oil in homemade lotion bars, lotions, whipped body butter and more
- Lavender essential oil can be used topically to help with acne or skin irritations
- Simmering dried lavender herb in a pot of water with some citrus peels for a natural air freshener
I love to bake with lavender, it tastes amazing when put into pound cakes!!
As far as Kat and Jess are concerned, lavender in spells can promote passion, romance, harmony & friendship.
Have a great day!